The reason I bought a video camera doorbell was to get through mine Frosted glass front door could never see who was at the door. In addition, it was always a bit strange when the doorbell rings late in the evening and I couldn't see who was standing in front of it.
The doorbell with video was originally manufactured by the company "Ring" and later bought by the company Amazon.
The doorbell with the video camera, in my case the model "Doorbell 2", promises a high quality video image, as well as the possibility of intercom directly from the Receiver device.
Technical information at a glance
- Suitable for temperatures from −20 ° C to 48 ° C; water resistant
- WLAN connection 802.11b / g / n, 2,4 GHz
- Intercom function with noise cancellation
- Advanced motion detection with customizable motion zones
- 1080p HD, live video, night vision
- The recommended minimum upload speed is 2 Mbit / s per device.
Doorbell with video camera in comparison
First impression | function
The Doorbell with video camera from Ring / Amazon makes a small but handy first impression. With the dimensions of 12,7 x 6,2 x 2,2 cm and a weight of only a few hundred grams, everything that is needed for commissioning is already included in the scope of delivery.
Basically, the doorbell can be used Battery operated or by house electricity can be operated via existing doorbell wiring.
The According to the manufacturer, assembly should be quick and easy go ahead, but I'll get to that in a moment.
A great advantage of this device is that the video of the doorbell can be transmitted directly to any end device. Accordingly, the house entrance can be accessed at any time via the Smartphone, One Tablet or even about that Echo Show can be viewed by Amazon. All you have to do is install the provided app.
The video quality should turn out to be 1080p act and the image should be transmitted almost in real time. But what do I have to consider before using it for the first time?
Pictures | Doorbell ring
How is the bell connected?
Before the bell can be put into operation, it must first be assembled and installed. Fortunately, almost everything is already included that is necessary for assembly, even a drill bit for assembly! I think that's great.
First of all, it should be noted that the doorbell with video from Ring / Amazon can generally be operated with a battery or rechargeable battery. To do this, the According to the manufacturer, the battery should be charged once a month. The USB cable required for charging is included in the scope of delivery. If this is too cumbersome for you, you can also call the video doorbell directly connect the original doorbellby using the wiring there. This has the advantage that a charging process is done immediately and is no longer necessary.
Connection via battery / accumulator:
If you decide to install it with a battery, the connection is particularly quick and easy. To do this, the basic shell is first attached to the house wall. According to the manufacturer Ring / Amazon, this should be included screws to ensure an absolutely firm hold. Alternatively, however, I can say that a high quality double-sided adhesive tape sufficient if necessary. The bell is only pressed occasionally and only a button is pressed. Nevertheless, the manufacturer recommends mounting with screws at this point.
If this step is done, the bell housing is now hooked into place. Now the doorbell has to go with the in-house bell WLAN network connected and the bell is ready for use.
Connection via house wiring:
If you want to save yourself having to charge the bell regularly, you have the option of Wiring the previous bell to use. Two corresponding cables for connection are included in the scope of delivery. These can be used to connect the doorbell with video. Because the lines but very briefly Ring / Amazon's doorbell must be set in the immediate vicinity of the original doorbell. Alternatively, a self-procured line a greater distance can be achieved and the bell can be mounted anywhere on the house wall. However, it must be noted that the lines would then have to be "hidden".
Control via app and other devices
With the app, which is free for normal use, the entrance to the house can be viewed in real time at any time and from anywhere.
The prerequisite for the operation of this doorbell with video, in my case the Doorbell 2 model, is that the provided App installed becomes. Everything is controlled via this app. This app can installed on all end devices that can play a video, i.e. on the smartphone, tablet or even on the Echo Show from Amazon.
Is the app completely free?
Standard functions such as instant notifications, live video and intercom are available immediately and free of charge on all Ring devices.
You can also record, review, and share missed moments with a Ring Protect subscription (sold separately) (30-day trial included with purchase).
In plain language this means: As soon as the video bell is pressed, a signal is immediately sent to the receiving device (smartphone, tablet, Echo Show). As soon as you click on this notification, you are immediately switched to the live view and you can see who is at the front door.
The notification and the live view are therefore free of charge!
Good to know…
The video bell has a very good picture and video quality still about one Intercom. You can communicate with the person on the doorstep from the living room.
The bell can be linked to Amazon Alexa. Thus, for example, the Amazon Echo Show will notify you as soon as someone stands in front of the front door and rings the doorbell. I don't think that's a must, but it's still a good idea.
Would you like to use advanced functions such as taking photos and videos from the entrance? This is also possible with the app. However, you can achieve that here Subscription for 3 euros per month. In this subscription is then the video recording contain. This is especially true for the moments when you were not at home and want to watch afterwards.
The bell also has a integrated night vision. Accordingly, the live image also works in the dark. Basically, the viewing angle is possible as follows: 155 ° horizontal, 90 ° vertical.
Advantages and disadvantages doorbell with video camera ring
- Quick and easy assembly with a battery
- Great picture quality
- Transfer to various end devices possible
- Live view at any time
- More complex installation using house wiring
- Live image partially delayed (6 seconds later)
· Installation with battery or house wiring possible
· Connection to the WLAN
Installation of the app on the end device (smartphone, tablet, Echo Show)
· Can be controlled and used free of charge
· Paid subscription only when using video recordings
· Live image can be viewed at any time
· Video recordings are only possible with a subscription for € 3 / month
And finally ... Doorbell with video camera
Overall, I find the video doorbell to be absolutely helpful for every household that does not already have the option of an intercom or direct access to the ringers.
The I rate the image quality as very good, the people can be clearly recognized. The Video quality also cuts very well in my test since it is transmitted in real time and you can watch videos without any delays.
The installation with battery operation is done quickly, if you want to switch to a permanent power supply, this is a little more complex and may require a technician.
I find the price of 99 euros to be absolutely fair in terms of the added value that you get from it.
Recommended reading: Advice radio bell with camera here | Door lock with finger sensor here | Smart home here
Find in the Top🔟 the best & best-selling Ring Door Bell products 2022 on Honest Tests
- Ring's Video Doorbell lets you see who's ringing at your front door with 1080p HD video. Respond via the integrated...
- This new version of Ring's wireless doorbell captures movement better and gives you clearer vision in the dark.
- As soon as someone rings your doorbell or the motion sensor is triggered, you will receive a notification on your mobile device.
- The Video Doorbell's HD (1080p) recording lets you see, hear and speak to people from your mobile phone, tablet or...
- An improved version of the Ring Video Doorbell 2, with refined motion detection and dual-band WiFi connection (2,4 and 5 GHz).
- Easy Installation: Connect Video Doorbell 3 to Wi-Fi in the Ring app and mount the device with the included ...
- Always know what's going on in front of your front door: The hard-wired doorbell with camera, WLAN and intercom function works with...
- HD Resolution: The elegant and slim doorbell works with 1080p resolution with 155° field of view. With live video through the Ring app, you can...
- Never miss packages again: You will receive a notification on your mobile phone, tablet or compatible Alexa devices if someone...
- 1080p HD video doorbell with two-way talk, advanced motion detection, color pre-roll, enhanced dual-band WiFi and...
- HD recording and live video lets you see what's happening at home, and two-way talk lets you communicate with...
- With advanced motion detection, you'll receive real-time notifications on your phone or tablet when someone...
- High-quality, hardwired video doorbell with 1536p full-body HD video, two-way talk, 3D motion detection, enhanced...
- Expand your field of vision with 1536p full-body HD video. This allows you to get a better picture of your visitors and see if...
- Thanks to the advanced motion settings, you'll always know when someone is at your front door. With that are...
- The power supply unit supplies your Video Doorbell Pro with constant power via a standard socket.
- Works with Alexa to start video recording in real-time via voice command.
- Adding a Ring Chime lets you hear alerts and notifications anywhere in your home.
- Bring flexibility, convenience and a sense of security to your home with Chime. Simply connect the door chime to your ring...
- Get notified in real time as soon as motion is detected or someone presses the button on your Ring Video Doorbell.
- Setting up Chime is very simple: Connect the device to a standard socket and connect it to your WLAN.
- See, hear and speak to visitors from anywhere. You'll also receive instant notifications, so you'll always know when...
- Hardwired HD video doorbell (1080p) with two-way communication, advanced motion detection, 2,4 GHz WiFi connection and...
- Customize your motion settings to only capture a selected area so you can focus on notifications...
- Convenient power solution for charging and extending the battery life of your Ring Video Doorbell (2nd generation).
- Secure mounting bracket with integrated solar panels
- Weatherproof design and easy installation
- Add flexibility, convenience and security to your home with Chime Pro, a 3-in-1 wireless extender solution...
- Get notified in real time as soon as motion is detected or someone presses the button on your Ring Video Doorbell.
- The integrated night light switches on automatically and thus ensures an even safer feeling.
Reading tips: coole DIY Projects | Fitness | You like product testing read?
- Tested: Blackboxcam - table clock with HD camera
- Test: IPhone 11 Pro Max | a must-have?
- Test: Siemens fully automatic coffee machine EQ.9 S500 TI9558X1DE
- Test: Xiaomi electric scooter 1S | foldable e-scooter
- Test: Syntrox sandwich maker with ceramic coating for 4 sandwiches
- Peanut butter from Argentina | without palm oil | no added sugar
- Laser Cutter - Laser Cutter - Engraving - Top 10
- Furniture maintenance and repair
- Iron - Instructions | Temperature | maintenance
- Metal detector top 10 - probes with metal detector for hobby and work
- Guidebook: Bicycle carrier for car | Bicycle transport
- Tuning e-bikes: e-bike or pedelec tuning tips
* Product images & links | Source: Amazon PA API | Last update on 2.06.2023/XNUMX/XNUMX | * = Affiliate links | Prices quoted on this website may have changed. The actual price of a product can be found on the seller's website. Real-time updates are technically not possible. Prices including VAT plus shipping costs