Buy an e-bike â € “buying guide for your new e-bike
The cycling season has begun and it's time to learn about the e-bike. At the beginning the electrically supported bike was sorted classically in the category "pensioners". That is what you think! What the manufacturers and companies have done in recent times on the legs or on the wheels follows a new trend because e-bikes help to keep the cities more and more free of cars. This type of transportation protects the environment, saves space and even those who are not fit every day, can still go to work, to the appointment or shopping. That's it? No. In this purchase guide we also introduce the outdoor bikes. With the E-Mountain Bike through the forest, with the e-road bike make whole day trips.
There is also a package of knowledge, legal information and how you can tune your bike and what else you need. - Buy e-bike - buying guide for your new e-bike
Recommended reading: You will find many guides on various topics in the advice section !
Buying an e-bike - buying guide for your new e-bike - in comparison
What is an e-bike?
A sturdy frame, a drive, a handlebar and two wheels. That definitely belongs to an e-bike. And are there any differences?
The frame must be stable but not heavyweight. The best materials are aluminum or carbon. But not only the material is crucial, but also the shape of the bike. Because: a sophisticated form of the frame is stable, without much material to claim. That makes the whole thing easier again.
Electric drive - motor
The drive of an e-bike does not really help you kick it, it just makes you faster. You have to kick. For that you can adjust, with the high-quality models in several stages, how much support you need. This is not to be confused with a gearshift. You also have the bike.
The difference is like the manual wheels as well. The narrower the tire (road bike) the easier and faster the bikes fly over the road - but have less grip (mountain bike). That may be a selection criterion for you.
E-bike / pedelec
E-bike is basically the main name for the motorized support of cycling. Actually, that's one pedelec, The pedal assist is limited to 25 km / h and 250 W. You do not need a helmet, driver's license or insurance. It is a bicycle according to StVO and so you are allowed to ride on the bike path. You have a small trailer? You can use it without risk.
Different with S-pedelec, The S stands for speed and that means all wheels up to 45 km / h. This means that you need a driver's license, insurance (including license plate) and a helmet. So you must not go on the bike path and trailer you must not synonymous.
Another subdivision is the e-moped or E-scooter, At this one you have an acceleration handle. Lightweight mopeds are classified up to 20 km / h, until 45 km / h is a moped. You need a driver's license and insurance in both cases. A helmet only from 20 km / h.
As with the manual wheels, not every bike likes every terrain. The companies have undertaken. So there are some really good bikes on the market that adapt to your life.
Trekking is designed for outdoor. That means you're at this E-bike for trekking so to speak, has to carry luggage bags from home. The bikes are very comfortable and have a long-lasting and strong drive.
✻ Share your adventures with friends! With the comfortable # helmet camera mount, you do not need to worry about the recordings anymore. What's left is your fun!
City bikes are the crushers who want to get from A to B as fast as possible. Without any stuff. Since cities are usually built relatively straight, is suitable E-City Bike excellent for straight stretches. Easy but comfortable!
✻ When cycling, you are not protected from the weather. A poncho can be a great thing. Lightweight, comfortable, not tight. Folds and folds into the bag without adding weight.
What does a cross bike need? Great stability and little comfort, because you are working. It's supposed to support you, and it does. E-cross bikes are not difficult but very stable.
Here all the advantages meet. It is stable, agile, has a mediocre level of comfort and brings stability to the point. Good e-mountain bikes do not let you know that a motor cooperates.
Here speed is needed! And long distance. The latest models take you 220 km far. Good and light tires, a sweeping lower handlebar - so you fly almost the miles along the road.
✻ Note: you travel a lot and do not feel like reaching for your relatively small water bottle every time? Then we have something for you: ours Drinking hose - Guidebook Drinking hose PET
There are different frames for the bikes. Find out where the differences lie
The different shapes affect stability, weight and comfort.
The diamond shape is very stable, but has little comfort what in other words means that it is used especially in balustrades. This construction is very light.
Great for trekking bikes and they offer a high level of comfort. Much in the city or on flat roads on the way? Then that would be worth considering.
The trapezoidal shape is very stable, has a low weight and is also ideal for sports bikes. Happy to be used by women.
A snap frame is great for the city. It is light, but not suitable for very long land tours. But he scores with thrift, what the space requirements.
Maybe you still want to upgrade? Goes. The following accessories are available for the various bikes:
- Saddle bags
- phone holder
- Power Bank
- bike computer which measure your distance, your time and your kcal consumption
- Bicycle Frame Bags
- Chain locks
- Cup holder
- air pump
- LED lights
- rearview mirror
- gel saddle
- bicycle grips
- Bicycle helmet
- helmet camera
- Airbags for cyclists
- E-bike tuning(at your own risk)
What is legally to be considered?
Your bike must be roadworthy. It needs, like any other bicycle also:
The e-bikes are divided into two categories:
- up to a maximum of 25 km / h
- may ride on cycle paths
- does not need a helmet
- a driver's license is not necessary
- no compulsory insurance (but it pays to think about theft protection)
- Children's trailers and the like may be pulled
- 20 to 45 km / h
- no followers
- must not be driven on the sidewalk
- requires a driver's license
- an insurance
- a helmet
Recommended reading: You will find many guides on various topics in the advice section !
What to look for when buying?
Finally, when you buy your e-bike you should pay attention to the following things:
★ on which terrain am I mainly?
★ how long does the battery need to last?
★ Do I have different options for adjusting how much the bike should support me?
★ how hard is it?
★ does the manufacturer give a guarantee for the battery?
★ Pedelec or S-Pedelec? Maybe you have a driver's license then you can also choose the faster version
★ should the battery be fixed or removable? !! Many manufacturers are increasingly building integrated batteries in the frame to take out !!
★ If you drive a lot, a price range is worth climbing up
There are three ways to mount the engine on an e-bike. In the front, in the middle and in the back of the bike. All three options have their advantages and disadvantages.
Generally, about 250 watts mean 25 km / h, 500 watts 45 km / h.
These front engines are the cheapest option. That's why they are well suited as a beginner model. They are also often installed in the low entry. Another advantage, they are variable with a coaster brake and there is already to retrofit.
The disadvantages are at the center of gravity of the wheel, which has now been postponed. You may have to get used to that first. Due to the extra load on wet roads, a spin or breakout of the front wheel is possible.
Middle motor - middle motor
Here the engine is in the middle and that means the weight is optimally distributed. A coaster brake is also possible, is even compatible with a derailleur and a hub gear. The engines in the middle are very robust. So you have the right engine at your side, if it should be a little uneven or faster. Unfortunately, all this leads to higher wear and requires a special frame construction. Bosch mid-range motors are very widespread and have proven themselves. The E-bikes with Bosch Performance CX engine you should keep an eye on. Maximum torque, high speeds and powerful acceleration with support up to 300%.
Here is the engine that optimizes its weight. That means more dynamics. Also advantageous: Recuperation is feasible and these engines can be retrofitted. The only disadvantage: hub gear is eliminated, it remains the derailleur.
The battery is the heart of your bike and it puts it in the foreground. It takes, depending on the manufacturer, about 2.5 - 11 hours to fully load. Also, ide data are different, how long the battery is enough for now. Straight lines and little weight on the bike extend the range enormously.
Tips for the battery:
- train your battery: 4x for example, you should completely de-charge your battery and then recharge
- do not let the battery run hot on the power plug
- and protect him from frost
- if you take care of your bike and the battery is removable, you should remove it before cleaning it
Remember also that a fixed battery on the bike looks better, but you can also make problems with the store. A mobile battery, you can take anywhere. The wheel is not. Even in winter, the battery can be better accommodated in the apartment and thus protect against frost.
Here you are spoiled for choice:
- hydraulic disc brake
- disc brake
Even if a normal disc brake sounds too weak on the first meter, the technique has developed steadily. The times of lethargic Bowden trains. But, the normal disc brakes overheat faster, even if they now have a shorter braking distance!
✻ ABS is also on board for high quality bikes!
Over time many became too Components specially produced and certified for e-bikes Service. Therefore, pay close attention to the installed components and get information (stability, wear, experience, etc.) about them. Cheap e-bikes have more often installed older or normal Fahrradkomponeten that have to withstand higher loads on an e-bike. Who up quality and safety pay attention and should have fun on his e-bike for as long as possible from 2000 € -3500 € invest.
The care is no different than a normal bike. Even an e-bike is protected against rain, which means on the other hand, you can occasionally also wash and clean it.
If you can not shelter it from weather, you can buy a small plastic garage that you just pull over your bike. This protects it from bird droppings.
The tire pressure check every now and then. Do not you know which bicycle pump is the right one? You can do that in ours Bicycle pump advisor read here.
✻ How big does the bike have to be? The indications also always give a frame size. These can be calculated based on your stride length. For example, if you have 84 cm stride, the frame size for a city bike / trekking bike is 55 cm, for a mountain bike 48 cm and for a road bike 56 cm.
Advantages and disadvantages
The e-bikes are not just for elderly people, because often have young people now and then problems with the joints and the back. Since we come to the same advantages:
✔ The joints are spared
✔ upright sitting
✔ no load peak
✔ faster through the city
✔ better find parking spaces
✘ relatively high purchase price
✘ the bicycles have a high dead weight
✘ from 25 km / h insurance, helmet and driver's license required
✘ relies on power source
FAQ - Buy an e-bike - Buyer's guide for your new e-bike
Take advantage of battery power
- Pay attention to the correct tire pressure
- defensive driving
- Step evenly
- choose the lowest possible support
How long does the battery last?
Roughly between 700 - 1000 times unloaded. See that you get a guarantee on your battery!
What is recuperation?
This allows the battery to recharge while driving.
How much does charging the battery charge?
Depending on the electricity price between 20-80 cent.
Can a child drive a pedelec? You should not, should not. Most manufacturers recommend children to ride an e-bike only from 14 years, because then they are in principle capable of motor.
What to do with a broken battery?
You can buy your battery if it is not firmly mounted. Please bring the old battery separately either to the dealer or to your waste management company. Batteries have lost nothing in the residual waste. If your battery is firmly installed, your bike workshop will help you too.
Have a look, maybe your battery still has warranty?
An e-bike, whether it's a mountain bike, a cross bike, a city bike, a road bike or a folding bike, today it's much faster in the city! You also have no parking problems. Your joints are spared and your muscles are still gently built. When buying, be sure to buy a high quality bike that your manufacturer gives you a warranty on the battery.
For bikes under 25 km / h you need no insurance, no helmet and no driver's license. Nevertheless, it is worthwhile to have the wheel specially insured against theft.
The various motors, frames and accessories make it possible for you to put together your perfect bike.
Well then! Get on the bike!
Find the best & best-selling electric bike products 2022 in Honest Tests in the Top🔟
- Motor 250 W in the rear wheel 30 Nm
- Battery 24V 7,8Ah 187Wh in the luggage rack
- Range about 25 km
- ESKUTE city e-bike has been updated and upgraded for riding comfort. 28" e-bikes Polluno are designed with a simple frame...
- ✅ 【SAFETY CERTIFICATION】 The e-bikes are fully equipped according to the requirements of the StVZO, with quality disc brakes, ...
- ✅ 【HIDDEN BATTERY AND LONG RANGE】 The e-bike is equipped with a battery with Samsung cells, so you can rely on its large ...
- Flexibility: The pedelec e-bike with 28 inch tires is very light thanks to the aluminum frame - with the 7-speed Shimano hub gears, this makes...
- Range: The combination of an integrated Telefunken front wheel hub motor with 250 watts and a high-quality seat tube battery ensures speeds of up to 25 km/h...
- Features: An LCD display provides you with all the information you need to know, such as distance covered, speed...
- Flexibility: The pedelec e-bike with 28 inch tires is very light thanks to the aluminum frame - with the 21-speed Shimano derailleur gears, the ...
- Range: The combination of an integrated Telefunken rear wheel motor with 250 watts and a high-quality battery integrated in the luggage rack ensures...
- Features: short battery charging time, LED display and LED lighting without dynamo
- FLEXIBILITY: The pedelec e-bike with 28 inch tires is very light thanks to the aluminum frame - the bike basket and low step-in make it ...
- RANGE: The combination of integrated Telefunken front motor with 250 watts & high-quality lithium-ion battery ensures up to 25 km / h ...
- FEATURES: Short battery charging time, high-quality Telefunken motor (maintenance-free), bike computer with LCD display (adjustable), in the luggage rack...
- ✔ 【Foldable design】: This electric bike has a foldable design, you can fold it easily, in the trunk of the car or at home ...
- ✔ 【250W motor and 36V 8Ah battery】: This electric bike is equipped with a 250W high-performance motor with strong power After ...
- ✔ 【SHIMANO 21 gear shift and brake】: The electric bike is equipped with a 21 gear shift, which gives you a larger ...
- Flexibility: The pedelec e-bike with 28 inch Kenda City tires and robust HiTen steel frame is thanks to the low entry and 7-speed Shimano ...
- Range: The combination of an integrated rear wheel hub motor with 250 watts and a high-quality lithium-ion battery ensures up to 25 km/h ...
- Features: You can easily set the light and pedal support (low, med, high) via an LED control panel and always have the...
- 🚲Professional 20" fat e-bike: The HITWAY electric bike is specially equipped with super-strong professional 3,0 fat tires that ...
- 🚲Super powerful motor, Super LongDistance: The HITWAY Ebike is equipped with a 250W 36V motor that can easily climb a 25 degree incline ...
- 🚲Advanced design: The HITWAY bike has an aluminum alloy body, high strength and a net weight of ...
- 🚲 【Powerful motor and large battery】 Eleglide T1 Step-Thru Ebike has a 250W strong brushless motor with 50Nm ...
- 🚲【27,5 "CST tires】 The Eleglide T1 Step-Thru bike is equipped with 27,5 inch CST pneumatic tires that adapt to a variety of ...
- 🚲【7 Speed Shimano Gear】The T1 Step-Thru electric bike comes with a professional Shimano 7-speed rear derailleur. With...
- THE MOTOR: Powerful 250 W and 40 Nm ANANDA RM M129H rear wheel motor with a maximum supported speed of up to 25 km/h,...
- THE BATTERY: GREENWAY YJ145 36V, 10,4Ah, 374,4Wh lithium battery conveniently stowed under the luggage rack; 90 km autonomy in ECO mode
- THE TRANSMISSION: Shimano ALTUS transmission, which has 21 gears and is suitable for any type of road
- Test: Gardena cordless grass and shrub shears | Edging Shears
- Test: Glückstoff - storage box made of fabric | Vintage
- Petsfit | Dog backpack
- Test: Bosch cordless hedge trimmer AHS 50-20 Li
- Test: Bosch robot lawn mower Indego S + 350 with app | How good is the robotic lawnmower?
- Bolero beverage powder - never buy bottles again!
We have created a buying guide with useful tips for you. He can advise and protect you from some bad purchases in 2023. He gives you recommendations for purchase, shows you useful links or brings you closer to an electric bike test.
Get experiences & recommendations from customers, buyers, friends, social media, blogs or trade journals. before you a Electric bike If you want to buy a product, be smart and you are well prepared.
How to easily find the best electric bike product for you!
What purchase expectations do I have of the electric bike product?
Many products have a primary purpose for which they are needed. Nevertheless, no matter what you are looking for or want to use the electric bike product, write down exactly what you expect from the product, how and where you want to use it. Research and compare the electric bike products you found. You will find that many products do exactly what you are looking for, but have many more functions, different properties or handling that you did not know. The variety of products and scope of delivery can be very different.
Which manufacturers or brands produce electric bikes?
If you are looking for an "Electric Bike" product and want a specific brand or manufacturer, then you have already narrowed your search with BRAND or manufacturer. If this is not the case, you must first get an overviewwhich manufacturers and brands produce and offer the product you are looking for. Benefit here well-known brands and manufacturers with their products. Nevertheless, it is worth investigating lesser-known brands or manufacturers. These could be new to the market or just less well known in the respective country.
You can often find a better one Price-performance ratio due to production costs or philosophy. Proven brands and manufacturers rely on notoriety and trust over the years that they've built up. quality & service have convinced, but can fade over time. Everything is reflected in the price. So pay attention to lesser-known products, they don't have to be worse. These can also have good service, good quality or come with more scope of delivery. Experiences of other buyers are very important.
Which functions, equipment & characteristics do I need for electric bikes and which do I not?
How to choose the best electric bike product
You now know exactly what you expect from your new product and how you want to use it. You have gotten an overview of the available products. You have now gained more information about electric bike products, as well as their functions, properties, handling and scope of delivery. What you initially expected from the product, you should now add new points and weigh up what do I absolutely need and what not. Also think long-term about comfort, consumption, benefits and scope of delivery.
Electric bike reviews, tests and star ratings simplify your purchase decision!
You now have a few electric bike products on your list that match your desire. Now you have to sort out and go into more detail about the products. Search any product for buyer ratings, recommendations, reviews & tests on the web. You will read positive and negative and you will notice which product you are drawn to. Here are a few points to keep in mind:
👉 How reputable is the website or shop and its buyer ratings, recommendations, reviews & tests?
👉 Buyer reviews can be bought or fake, look at the number of reviews and spelling.
👉 Use other useful websites to evaluate fake reviews!
👉 What exactly are negative reviews about?
How do I deal with negative electric bike reviews and experiences?
Negative reviews are often written when a product arrives defective, which can be due to the delivery route or directly to the manufacturer. It can happen, but it's not the norm and shouldn't put you off. There are many negative reviews from customers who bought the wrong electric bike product for themselves or who didn't get the right information and were now disappointed. Incorrect or incorrect use can also lead to a negative rating.
Products often have to be assembled, for some this is too complicated, time-consuming or just not for them. Often these so-called negative ratings simply contain frustration that the buyer had. Nevertheless, there are certainly legitimate negative reviews, so I always recommend that you read them Read reviews carefully and revolves around use, durability & quality. What problems did you have? How did the dealer or manufacturer react to problems?
👉 Few reviews does not always mean that your chosen product is necessarily bad. Maybe it just hasn't been on the market long enough and hasn't been valued enough as a result.
👉 If possible, ask your open questions to the buyer or seller in case of problems.
👉 some sellers fight each other with negative/positive ratings to improve or deteriorate sales ranks and positioning.
What problems, solutions or tips can I find about the electric bike product?
It is often helpful to research problems, solutions or tips about the product before making a purchase. Here you can benefit from the knowledge of buyers who may have had the electric bike product for some time, what they do with it or have experienced. This can be negative as well as positive. Maybe it will bring you more knowledge about the quality, durability, care, handling and use of your upcoming electric bike purchase.
Where can I find solutions and tips for problems with electric bikes?
⭐ Ask for experiences and tips in your personal area on the subject of electric bikes or products.
⭐ The top 10 list by Honest Tests takes you to the best and most popular electric bike products with links to ratings & reviews, where you can find many opinions and recommendations.
⭐ Many sales platforms offer their buyers a rating, which you can usually find under the product.
⭐ There are question & answer portals with the questions & answers you are looking for, or post them directly yourself. Example: Gutefrage.net
⭐ For every product or topic there are forums on the Internet where users, buyers or like-minded people can exchange ideas.
⭐ Facebook groups or Facebook pages act like forums with lots of questions and answers.
⭐ Look at detailed Top reviews on Amazon * an. There are many for very good quality and satisfied buyers 4 or 5 star ratings. The more customer reviews a product has, the safer the opinions and information about it.
Where can I find an electric bike test on the internet?
💻 Just look in the area "Testing" from Honest Tests over or use here with electric bike test the search, maybe we already have something for you! 🙂
💻On Google you can enter here electric bike test Find! You can use any search engine out there. Also use a year for current tests, for example Electric bike test 2022.
💻 For product recommendations and product tests with test results 2022, you can search for an existing one at Stiftung Warentest electric bike test check.
💻 Check at Ökotest whether an existing electric bike test is discoverable.
💻 Youtube is the choice for reviews and test videos. You can go here electric bike test check.
How to buy electric bike! 🛒
You can buy any product either online or in a local store. You will always find a much larger selection online. You will find popular local shops such as a hardware store, drugstore, shopping center or a specialist shop on site and can get an idea of the products directly.
🏬 Popular dealers for electric bike products could be: Aldi, Penny, Kaufland, Norma, Lidl, Netto, Roller, Rossmann, DM, Rewe, Real, Bauhaus, Toom, Obi, Hornbach, Mediamarkt, Saturn, Medimax and many others. All providers also sell selected products in their own online shop. 🛍
Online you will find many other online shops or price comparison sites in addition to the ones mentioned above.
💻Popular portals for electric bikes are: Amazon, eBay, Otto, Conrad, Pearl, Billiger, Idealo, Geizhals, Check24 and many more. Everywhere you will find test winners, price winners or comparison winners, maybe exactly the product you are looking for is there!
How can I save money when buying an electric bike?
1. Saving tip❗ Look for designated ones discounts, offers, price reductions or bargain offers, but with Caution and compare.
⚠To check an offer, you can specifically for Amazon "Keepa" or "CamelCamelCamel" to use. Prices are tracked here, so you can see if an offer is really an offer. Many retailers lower prices on special occasions such as Black Friday, Christmas, Easter or other promotional days. With "Keepa" you can see months in advance how the price has been and you will notice that the price has been increased more and more to the promotion day, weeks or 1-2 months before the promotion to represent an offer at the promotion time, although it is the Price is that has been used often or for a long time. ⚠
Dealers like to use the tactic of adjusting a product from its normal price to a very expensive price, only to later sell it at that normal price (now much cheaper). With this tactic, the retailer triggers a price drop, which signals an offer for many online shops, websites, deal sites, price portals and positions it accordingly or makes it conspicuous. Use these tactics to your advantage and catch the periods before and after these price adjustments. This will certainly require a little time, planning and patience for your purchase.
Here at Honest Tests we have one "Keepa" price history view built into the tables and their contributions from "Tests" & "Guides". There you can see how the price of a product was in the past.
2. Saving tip💶❗ Always compare the scope of delivery with the price. A low price for a single product can become more expensive if you have to buy something as an option right away or later. A product set with a lot of scope of delivery can then suddenly be cheaper, although the price seems high at first.
3. savings tip💶❗ Don't buy scopes of delivery/equipment or more functions if you can already weigh up that you don't need them or use them little.
4. Saving tip💶❗ Use price alerts! You can set price alerts on some websites, comparison sites or portals. You could provide your electric bike product with a price alert. You will then receive an e-mail notification when you reach your desired price, which has been tracked over a certain period of time.
5. Saving tip💶❗ Maybe use coupon pages or coupon codes for your electric bike product purchase. There are browser extensions that allow you to buy a possible voucher code directly from the online shop. Many retailers want to retain their buyers after a purchase and include voucher codes with them. Voucher websites show you current vouchers for everything. You just have to check whether one would be possible for you at the moment.
6. Saving tip💶❗ Does your product have to be new? With used products, B-stock or Refurbished products you can save a lot! Amazon and Ebay offer used, B-stock or refurbished item on. Depending on the used condition and knowing someone else has used it, you can save a lot, but it may not be for everyone. B-Ware items often have transport or cosmetic defects, but are fully functional. Refurbished goods are used, defective and returned goods that have been prepared for sale and have a guarantee. Amazon offers these products as Warehouse Deals
Lots of positives Buyer ratings are often a sign that people are happy with the electric bike product.
You always want the most popular top product at the best possible price and no additional costs. Many want that. But quality has its price. If you buy cheap, you often buy twice or three times again. Spend a little more money and enjoy its quality in the long term, you will enjoy it more in the long run than cheap bargains. It's not always easy to buy a quality product at a reasonable price. If you stick to a few purchase criteria, customer reviews and the buying guide, you will surely find the right product for you. Have fun!
honest-tests.de can you do good Order electric bike products online at good prices – Buy electric bike online. Simply order electric bikes online, find electric bike products and Buy electric bike products. Always pay attention quality and rating of the products, regardless of whether you want to buy offline or order electric bike products on the Internet. Buy an electric bike: Order good products like electric bikes online - at a good price! Search for an electric bike – find an electric bike – order an electric bike online!
The honest tests website - gives you the opportunity to compare many products such as electric bikes at good prices on the Internet and to order electric bike products directly to your home.
If you want to order electric bikes online: Search on Ehrliche-tests.de, find your product and we will direct you to an online shop like Amazon to order. Buying electric bike products is so easy! - Super easy to order electric bike products online.
Discover the now honest tests! Have you read everything up to here? WOW! Then you are either very precise or a search engine, because this text is written for them 🙂
* Product images & links | Source: Amazon PA API | Last update on 29.12.2022/XNUMX/XNUMX | * = Affiliate links | Prices quoted on this website may have changed. The actual price of a product can be found on the seller's website. Real-time updates are technically not possible. Prices including VAT plus shipping costs