New Year's Eve is a time of celebration for many people, but for our four-legged friends it can be a time of great fear and confusion. In this Guide: “How to calm your dog down on New Year’s Eve” you will find out how you can accompany your dog safely and relaxed through the loud celebrations.
What helps my dog on New Year's Eve?
Answers briefly and concisely from the Guide:
- Desensitization exercises: Play soft fireworks sounds, gradually increasing the volume over several sessions.
- Calming Music: Play relaxing or classical music to drown out the sounds of fireworks.
- Thunder Shirt: Use one Thundershirtto give your dog a feeling of security through gentle pressure.
- Safe area: Create a quiet retreat for your dog, away from windows and noise.
- Interactive toys: Offer chew toys or puzzle toys to distract and keep the dog occupied.
- CBD products: Consider using CBD products specifically for pets to reduce stress and anxiety.
- Background noise: Use white noise or a TV on to drown out the sounds of fireworks.
- Leash requirement for walks: Always keep your dog on a leash on New Year's Eve to avoid attempts to escape if you are frightened.
- No dangerous foods: Keep harmful foods and items such as candy, alcohol, and party decorations away from your dog.
- Personal attention: Spend time with your dog to calm him down and reassure him.
- Current labeling: Make sure your dog is microchipped and has current contact information on his collar.
- Pheromone products: Consider using pheromone diffusers or sprays for calming.
Preparing dog and New Year's Eve
Fear of fireworks noise
Recognizing fear signals
Many dogs show fear of loud noises. Signs include shaking, panting, hiding, or even trying to escape. It is important to recognize these signals early so that you can react accordingly. Dog owners usually know their dogs on New Year's Eve, they often hide under beds or in remote corners where they seek protection.
Start with desensitization exercises beforehand. Play recordings of fireworks sounds at low volume while distracting your dog with treats and toys. Increase the volume gradually over several weeks.
Security in the house
Safety precautions in the apartment
Make sure your home is safe for your dog. Close windows and doors to prevent escape attempts. Create a quiet retreat where your dog can hide.
Sedatives and methods
There are different methods to calm dogs. These include calming pheromone sprays, Thundershirts or gentle music. Talk to your vet about suitable options.
Dealing with fireworks
Behavior during fireworks
Try to distract your dog during the fireworks. Play with him or offer him an interactive toy. This can help distract his attention from the noise.
Always have an emergency plan in case your dog becomes extremely anxious. Have your veterinarian's phone number ready and find out about 24-hour veterinary clinics in your area.
“New Year's Eve can be a stressful experience for dogs, but with the right methods and instructions, you can help your four-legged friend stay calm and composed. Every dog reacts differently, so it's important to try different techniques to find the most effective one for your dog.
Practical use cases and tips for specific dog types:
- For anxious dogs: Create a calming environment with dim lighting and soft music. A Thundershirt can help give your dog a feeling of security.
- For high-energy dogs: Keep your dog occupied with interactive toys or chew toys to distract his attention from the noises.
- For dogs sensitive to noise: Try to drown out the sounds of the fireworks with white noise or soothing music.
Step-by-step instructions for desensitization exercises:
- Introduction: Start with short training sessions in which you play fireworks sounds at a very low volume while your dog is relaxed.
- Positive reinforcement: Reward your dog with treats or his favorite toy when he stays calm while the sounds are playing in the background.
- Increase: Gradually increase the volume of the sounds over several training sessions. Make sure your dog doesn't become stressed or anxious.
- Consistency: Do these exercises regularly to get the best effect. Patience and consistency are the key to success.
With these instructions and tips you can help your dog get used to the sounds of New Year’s Eve and experience the night more relaxed.”
Realistic examples and testimonials
It may be helpful to read other dog owners' experiences. Many forums and social networks offer platforms for sharing such stories
Advanced security precautions
- Leash requirement during walks: It is important to keep your dog on a leash, even during the day, as fireworks start being set off before New Year's Eve. This can scare your dog and cause him to try to escape
Avoiding dangerous foods and objects
- Keep away harmful foods and objects: Make sure dangerous foods like cake, cookies, and alcohol, as well as items like streamers, tinsel, and party hats, are out of your dog's reach. These can be dangerous for dogs.
Additional employment opportunities
- Keep your dog busy: Offer your dog new toys or chews to keep him occupied and distracted during the fireworks.
Use of background noise
- Background noise for distraction: Turn on the TV or radio, or play soothing music to drown out the sounds of the fireworks. There are special playlists and music designed specifically for dogs.
Calming through physical contact
- Stay calm and give your dog security: Calm your dog by petting him and speak to him in a calming tone. This can be particularly effective if you have guests over and the party atmosphere could add stress to the dog.
Review and update labeling
- Make sure your pet's ID is current: Check whether your dog is chipped and whether the information on the collar is up to date. This is especially important if your dog leaves the house in a panic (Source: Pet Keen).
Desensitization and counterconditioning
- Desensitization training: Use CDs or YouTube videos with fireworks, thunderstorms, or city sounds to get your dog used to such noises. Start with a low volume and gradually increase it.
Valerian pillows can have a calming effect on dogs. Valerian is known for its relaxing properties and is often used to reduce stress and anxiety in pets. Here are some points you should keep in mind:
- Natural calming: Valerian contains ingredients that can have a natural calming effect. This can be particularly useful for relaxing dogs who are stressed by noises like fireworks.
- Individual reactions: As with all natural remedies, dogs react differently to valerian. While it may be effective for some dogs, it may have no effect on others.
- Correct dosage: It is important to use the right amount of valerian. Too much can have unwanted side effects. This is usually less of a problem when using a valerian pillow because the exposure is lower than with oral administration.
- Combination with other methods: Valerian pillows can be used as part of a broader strategy that also includes desensitization exercises, calming music, and safe retreats.
Use of CBD products
- CBD Products for Pets: CBD products designed specifically for pets can help calm your dog. It is recommended to try these products beforehand to make sure they work for your pet.
Conclusion: This is how you calm your dog down on New Year's Eve
With the right preparation, you can ensure that New Year's Eve is as stress-free as possible for your dog. Remember to plan ahead, stay calm and patient, and keep an eye on your dog during the festivities.
Share your experiences and tips in the comments. Have you found other methods that work for your dog?
Products for dogs on New Year's Eve
- THE IDEAL COMPANION FOR A RELAXED DOG LIFE: Felmo calming snacks have a natural calming effect against anxiety, stress and…
- WHY FELMO SNACKS FOR THE RELAXATION OF YOUR FAVORITE?: The Felmo calming snacks with valerian and L-tryptophan are perfect for...
- ONLY THE BEST FOR YOUR FOUR-LEGGED FRIEND: The felmo snacks consist only of high-quality ingredients, including: valerian, St. John's wort, sweet potato,...
- RECOMMENDED BY VETERINARIANS – MADE IN GERMANY: For optimal effect, our felmo products are made exclusively with high-quality, natural…
- WANT TO RELAX? 120 high-dose calming tablets. Reduce anxiety & stress. Provide balance and calm. The ideal companion…
- TASTE ALL FOUR-LEGGED FRIENDS: Our tablets taste delicious and are highly accepted by all breeds and sizes. Thanks to the break groove, they...
- NATURAL CONTENT: Selected plant mix of valerian, ashwagandha, hemp oil, hops and passionflower. Cleverly combined with L-tryptophan,…
- GERMAN QUALITY PRODUCT: Highest quality & strictest controls from the selection of raw materials to the final product. Our products are…
- New and improved formula! Suitable for daily administration - developed with veterinarians
- ivvi RELAX was developed to gently support your dog's nervous system. For a more relaxed everyday life or especially before stressful...
- Developed with veterinarians: Specially tailored to the needs of dogs from puppies to old age - prevention is better than aftercare
- Many dogs suffer from stress, nervousness or other fears (e.g. loud noises, new contacts), which can cause noticeable discomfort for...
- Unique, patented products – give dogs relaxation
- Developed and recommended by veterinarians
- Ideal for getting used to a new home, for anxious behavior, fireworks, thunderstorms or fear of noises
- The evaporator covers an area of 50 – 70 square meters for around 4 weeks
- ANTI-STRESS: Our Bach flower globules naturally calm and tame stressful and stressful situations for the animal. Ideals…
- FLEXIBLE TO USE: The special Bach flower mixture calms you down and can be used flexibly in everyday life. Especially when there is loud noise...
- HIGH ACCEPTANCE: The Bach flowers for cats and dogs are added to the food 2-3 times a day as needed. Natural globules for all breeds…
- PARTICULARLY TOLERATE: 100% natural ingredients, free of chemical additives, antioxidants and additives. The product is gentle and gentle and...
* Product images & links | Source: Amazon PA API | Last update on 3.03.2024/XNUMX/XNUMX | * = Affiliate links | Prices quoted on this website may have changed. The actual price of a product can be found on the seller's website. Real-time updates are technically not possible. Prices including VAT plus shipping costs