Sun protection: In addition to its positive aspects, the sun also has harmful consequences. A healthy and responsible use of the sun can therefore not only help prevent sunburn, but also reduce the risk of long-term damage, especially skin cancer.
Now read here what you can do to really protect yourself effectively from the sun and still get the positive out of it.
Sunscreen lotion in comparison
Basics - what do I need the sun for anyway?
The sun is the basis for the life of humans, animals and plants. No life is possible without the sun. From this principle alone, one can conclude that the sun is extremely important for us humans. They make us feel more alert and are often in a better mood. The sun is also extremely important for our skin, as it is responsible for well-being and external healing.
But what exactly does that mean?
The sun brings some valuable positive aspects:
- Hormone release
The sun ensures that we are in a good mood and active. The warmth also creates a high mood.
- Vitamin D formation
With the help of the sun, our body can produce vitamin D and thus strengthen our immune system, bones, muscles and teeth.
- Healing of skin diseases
Sunlight is good for you, for example with psoriasis, neurodermatitis and white spot disease. Always have a doctor monitor the good effect.
However, if we are exposed to the sun for too long, it can lead to painful sunburn and other consequences. This is due to the so-called ultraviolet rays, or UV rays for short. But more on that in a moment.
Usually we already have one by nature natural skin protection, because healthy skin neutralized the consequences the solar radiation and has a protective effect.
One sign of this is, for example, that the skin becomes exposed to prolonged exposure to the sun cornea forms as additional protection. Another sign of self-protection is that browning. The dark pigment melanin is arranged in a protective manner around the nucleus of the skin cells. That's why we get tanned.
Important to know: The tan is not a sign of healthy skin, but a pure protective reaction, which means that harmful UV rays have already penetrated the skin.
So I can say that the sun is indispensable for humans, but should be used to a healthy extent.
Recommended reading: Tips for the summer figure here!
When can the sun harm my skin?
Above all, the aforementioned ultraviolet (UV) rays from the sun have an effect on the skin. Depending on the wavelength, a distinction is made between UV-A and UV-B radiation.
The long wave UV-A radiation reaches deep into the skin layers (dermis). The effect of this is that the fibers of the skin can be damaged, which leads to a loss of elasticity with the formation of wrinkles. This type of radiation only causes one short-term tan and increases the risk for skin cancer, melanoma.
However, it is not responsible for the development of a sunburn.
The short-wave UV-B radiation penetrates the epidermis. As a result, the skin produces the pigment melanin and such a thing longer-term tanning arises, which serves as light protection. Also, this type of radiation does that Formation of vitamin D.which is important, for example, for building bones. However, UV-B is also responsible for sunburn, an inflammatory reaction that, depending on the intensity of the radiation, is associated with reddening, swelling, blistering and pain.
Sun protection: how does a sunscreen work | Sun lotion
How do I protect myself optimally and what options do I have?
There are various and numerous ways to optimally protect the skin. I would like to show you the most important ones in a clear list.
Basically, clothing offers the best protection against sunburn!
The scalp, eyes and neck in particular are quickly affected by sunburn, as they are a direct surface to the sun. Here can be a sun hat and sunglasses (UV 400) provide assistance.
Sunscreens protect for different lengths of time, depending on the sun protection factor and skin type. There are protective lotions and protective sprays with different levels of sun protection factors.
The following must be taken into account:
- Skin type (light to dark)
- Age of the person (child or adult)
- How long do I want to stay in the sun
- How strong is the sun? (Midday sun, strength depending on the region)
- Pre-existing conditions in the skin
I can still do this following recommendations pronounce:
- Apply several times before going into the sun + early
- Renew regularly, especially after bathing and drying off (even with waterproof protective agent)
- Do not exhaust the calculated protection time, rather only use up to two thirds and then apply again.
- Mineral UV protection is preferable to chemical UV protection and works faster
If you also want to protect yourself from the sun in the simplest possible way, you can make yourself comfortable in the shade. It should be noted, however, that you can also get tan here.
Which sun protection is suitable for me?
Depending on skin type, age, skin areas and situation, there are many different sunscreens that can be applied to the skin. I would now like to list the most important clues for the individual decision.
Whether you choose spray, milk, cream or gel depends on what your own skin is like. Cream is good for people with dry skin. People with oily skin are more likely to choose gel.
Particularly good sun protection is necessary for children and the elderly, because the skin is more sensitive in early and older ages. There are special products for children, mostly fragrance-free. For older people, sun protection with a high sun protection factor, from SPF 20, is recommended.
The skin varies in thickness and some areas are exposed to the sun much more. For example the face and the back of the foot. There are special sunscreens for the face, but also day creams with a sun protection factor. For particularly sensitive areas, such as the back of the foot and lower lip, it is important to always apply carefully.
The sun exposure varies, people and their surroundings are individual. Sensitive skin and diseases such as neurodermatitis play a major role in this. But also whether you are mainly in mountain regions or near water. It is important to know the influences and to choose the appropriate sun protection.
Overall, sun protection with an appropriate sun protection factor should always be selected. In addition, it is better to have a sun protection factor that is too high than one that is too low.
Sun protection: what should I watch out for with children?
Tips for everyday life
The child's skin is much thinner than adult skin. The pigments, which provide the body's own protection against UV rays, are not yet fully produced in childhood. Every time the child is sunburned, the likelihood of developing skin cancer in adulthood increases.
Young children should not be exposed to direct sun until they are around two years old. If that is not possible, there is a Head protection and UV-proof clothing indispensable. If the children are older than twelve months, sunscreen can also be applied. Always use a high sun protection factor.
Always equip children with clothing, hat and sunglasses to protect them from UV rays. Always use sunglasses marked UV-400 or 100% UV protection.
Tips for everyday life:
Between 11 and 15 clock is the UV radiation highest. During this time, children should, if possible, not go out into the sun in summer. The basic rule here is that the shadow should always be preferred.
- Always use a parasol when driving a stroller.
- Children should always drink enough fluids in summer.
- Use at least a sun protection factor of 30, even in midsummer and in southern countries SPF 50.
- The nose, forehead, ears, hands, shoulders, knees and back of the feet need a lot of protection. Regular re-creaming should not be forgotten.
- Always reapply sunscreen after swimming, sweating and drying off, even if it is a waterproof product.
Simple rules to avoid
Sunburn + interesting tips
- Clothing is the best sun protection
- Avoid midday sun
- When it comes to sun protection, a lot helps a lot
- Post-creaming does not extend the protection time
- Apply even when the sky is cloudy
- Good sunscreens can also be absorbed quickly
- Even tanned skin needs protection
- The skin can also burn under water
- Pre-tanning in the tanning salon does not protect against sunburn
Find the best & best-selling beach shell sun protection products 2023 in Honest Tests in the Top🔟
- 【UV protection 50+】 The fabric of the beach shell consists of 190T silver-coated fabric that offers UP 50+ beach shell uv protection pop up to ...
- 【Good Ventilation & Privacy】 The front of the beach shelter can be fully opened. The beach shell is equipped with a...
- 【Strong windproof effect】 The beach shelter must be installed with two fiberglass poles during use, which means that the ...
- 【Instant pop-up design】 No assembly required - our beach shell with automatic pop-up design allows you to set it up in ...
- 【UV sun protection】 The pop up beach shell is made of polyester and has an environmentally friendly silver coating that is effective ...
- 【Good Ventilation】The open-door design and the rear mesh window ensure that the beach shelter is always well ventilated. That...
- ☀️【Beach tent with UV protection】With a sun protection factor of 80 (certification by the Hohenstein Institute in Germany according to ...
- ☀️【Small beach shelter】 The Helios sun tent is the optimal travel beach shelter due to its small pack size of 40 x 8 x 8 cm...
- ☀️【Throwing beach shelter for children】The beach shelter with a small pack size is a real all-rounder. The family beach shelter does not...
- ⛱️[3 steps to set up]: Take out the tent, throw it in the air and secure it with pegs. It is also easy to...
- ⛱️[Suitable for 2 people]: The Kejector instant beach shelter measures 140cm x 180cm x 110cm. The spacious interior offers space for 2-3...
- ⛱️[Portable and Lightweight]: This 950g lightweight pop up tent is compact enough to carry with you conveniently. The durable,...
- UV sun protection: The Active Era sun tent is lined with a UPF 50+ UV protection material to give you and your family the much-needed ...
- Pop up tent: Forget confusing tent instructions. Thanks to the Active Era Easy Pitch Pop-Up technology, you can...
- Windbreak on the beach: The practical design of the beach shelter offers protection from the summer wind. The external sand pockets and pegs also ensure...
- Advanced sun protection UPF 50+ - no more worrying about sunburn or skin damage. Our beach shelter with silver coating offers...
- Easy to set up & portable - With an assembly time of just 2-3 minutes, you can easily set up the beach tent pop up uv protection in just a few steps...
- Stay cool with maximum air circulation - This beach tent has a large mesh window on the back and a ventilation construction...
- ⛺PREMIUM MATERIAL⛺The beach tent is made of 210T polyester. The beach tent can be used in light rain. Since the beach bowl...
- ⛺POP UP BEACH TENT⛺This beach shelter has a pop-up structure and is easy to dismantle. You can do it anytime, anywhere quickly...
- ⛺EXTRA LARGE SPACE⛺This beach tent is suitable for 1-4 people. It is very suitable for you to travel with your family. The...
- 【Anti UV 50+】 The pop up beach shelter is made of 190T waterproof, silver-coated polyester fabric that provides UV protection UPF 50+. All...
- 【Privacy & Ventilation】The front door of the beach shelter has 4 buckles. The back door of the beach shelter has a zipper...
- 【Easy Installation & Small Package】 Installing the pop up beach shelter is very easy and the entire construction process only takes 1...
- 【UV50+ Ultraviolet Sun Protection】: This beach shelter is made of silver coated fabric, which provides a better shade effect...
- 【Strong Stability and Ventilation】The tent poles are made of galvanized iron, which is strong and stable. The pockets on both...
- 【Set up in seconds】: The beach shelter pop up is an automatic pop-up design, no assembly required, it can be set up in a ...
- Material: Made of vinyl cloth, very durable and waterproof. Comes with a small waterproof carry bag and the...
- Window Ventilation: The mini head pop-up tent with 360 degree window ventilation ensures better dissipation of body heat and odor....
- Windproof and sandproof: It will greatly block the sun and protect your eyes from the light. Prevent harmful...
- Test: cocoa with caffeine? Koawach brings the caffeinated cocoa in the morning
- Test: love balls with remote control - Vibroei with remote control
- Tested: spy camera in the AC adapter
- Test: Philips Avent Baby Monitor SCD503 | many functions
- DEERC 300E & 302E RC Offroad Drift 4WD Car 1:18 +60 km/h buy & test | testimonial
- AUKEY EP-T25 TWS headphones | In-ear | Bluetooth | USB-C charge
- Convertible top impregnation top 10
- Awning for bus and caravan
- Guide: Coffee machines | Coffee at the push of a button
- Emergency toilet for the road: The pocket tart always with you
- High-pressure cleaners from Bosch - powerful all-rounders
- Christmas decorations | Christmas villages illuminated
* Product images & links | Source: Amazon PA API | Last update on 11.12.2023/XNUMX/XNUMX | * = Affiliate links | Prices quoted on this website may have changed. The actual price of a product can be found on the seller's website. Real-time updates are technically not possible. Prices including VAT plus shipping costs