Roof racks - more space, less chaos
A roof rack offers additional storage space. Not only for the bulky skis, but can also carry a roof box in which you can transport your clothes. Even a station wagon is quickly exhausted if you want to go on vacation with two children and the dog. You just need more space. Even if it's just the bikes that still have to go somewhere.
Summer is almost in the starting blocks and just in time for the start of the season, here comes ours Guide in terms of space on the roof. What do you have to do with the bestseller 2024: The best and most popular in the top 10 comparison | Honest Tests of a railing carrier? Where are the advantages and disadvantages? What materials can it be made of? What do you have to pay attention to during installation, is there theft protection and what about the different systems? We clarify all this in the roof rack bestseller 2024: The best and most popular in the top 10 comparison | Honest Tests - Guide. – Railing carrier bestseller 2024: The best and most popular in the top 10 comparison | Honest Tests
Railing rack bestsellers 2024: The best and most popular in the top 10 comparison | Honest tests – in comparison
What is a roof rack?
It can carry between 50 - 100 kilos and is firmly mounted with rails on the car roof. Some models can also carry more load. There are three options for this, which we have listed below. These rails must be very stable and light at the same time. There is also a theft protection. Are the roof rack mounted on the car, you can now attach various boxes and brackets. A great solution, if there is no more space in the car or if the car to be transported simply beats the car.
Which materials are suitable? By the way, the roof rails must have an ABE (general operating permit), only then you can simply assemble them and drive off.
Alu is great, it is light and yet stable. It is protected against corrosion. The same applies to
Chrome is already a bit more noble. Chrome and aluminum are protected by various plastic caps, so that no water can penetrate.
There are three mounting options. These can vary from car to car. Which system is right for you, you can find in the manual of your vehicle.
A normal rail carrier is quite easy simply mounted on the existing roof rails of your car. Here are carriers that are placed transversely. This is especially handy, because all kinds of roof boxes and devices easily possible to install.
The systems attached to the gutter are also cross-beams mounted on the gutter on the roof. So you have in turn cross-bracing.
The fix carriers are a bit more complicated. The manufacturer has usually provided (usually under a rubber strip directly on the car roof) fixed points for just such a carrier. Some have to be plucked off before assembly.
➫ For all systems, there are either struts, or entire pads. Depending on which system you need. There are also "Porter". On this mounted on the roof and firmly screwed edition you can easily tie a standard case.
What is a roof rack suitable for?
You think you have enough space in the car? See for yourself how useful such additional storage space is on the roof:
- different roof boxes can be found on the roof. This means that you have less "flying stuff" in the car. Take care when packing a roof box but on a few little things: soft material comes forward. In the case of full braking, the coarser is slowed down by the softer one
- Ski. Ski are just very bulky. Some fit into the car, something through a special shape through the rear seat. But it does not have to, and certainly not if you have the trunk already full anyway. Off to the roof with it, saves space and nerves
- Cycles. Bicycles are also great on the roof accommodate. Because, if you mount a carrier on your trunk lid, you either need a trailer hitch and a second license plate, or you have such a small carrier - but then get the trunk no longer
- Canoes can also be transported on the roof. They are relatively light and narrow, these are great properties for a roof transport
- The good old suitcases. If you buy a support for the roof, which has a generous lattice form, you can also fasten suitcases or boxes on top of the roof if it ties and secures things well. But please pay particular attention here to a good load securing
A combination lock is a lock, which of course you can crack - which takes some time. This will deter most thieves and you can leave your car safely for a while. The manufacturers have conveniently attached custom-fit combination locks.
There are not many accessories, at least not much, which one would have to buy. The manufacturers usually send all the required rubber feet, caps and mounting aids. That's usually enough. However, if you ever lose something and can not find the appropriate part, write directly to the manufacturer that sometimes helps wonders.
Advantages and disadvantages of a roof rack
Of course, a roof rack has its advantages and disadvantages. Which ones can be, we check here:
✔ more and sometimes more storage space
✔ Roof boxes are available in different versions and also with extra lock secured against theft
✔ In spite of AHK it is worth it, you can transport without much effort
✔ Bicycles are no longer totally unfavorable in front of the trunk
✘ effort of assembly is a bit higher
✘ Acquisition costs may be higher depending on the quality
✘ Up to 20% higher fuel consumption possible - depending on driving style, structure and speed
❂ Note: From about 130 km / h on bulky bikes / boxes / things not only is particularly expensive, but can also be dangerous quickly (rising wind or maneuver). Take a little more time and make sure you reach your destination!
What to expect from the 2024 bestseller: The best and most popular in the top 10 comparison | Honest tests should be taken into account
A few points must be taken into account before getting a new roof rack. What to pay attention to?
★ How much money do I want to spend on the roof rack?
★ how much space do I need for bicycles, box, skis etc.
★ what is the maximum permissible mass?
★ Can I protect the wearer from theft?
★ which material is suitable for me?
★ Can I mount the carrier alone?
★ Is my car suitable for the system I have chosen?
★ are there any accessories to buy?
★ Can I switch between different roof racks without having to disassemble everything?
★ does the maximum permissible mass comply with my requirements?
★ is the luggage carrier designed to fit the resistance and wind noise and the associated increased fuel costs into my budget? The internet has good bargains to offer and the many user opinions and reviews also help. Those who are not sure are in better hands with the retail trade, also with regard to mounting on the car roof.
Afterwards we would like to give you a few more tips.
»Attach the transport as flat as possible to the carrier«
»Remember that your car is now higher when you drive into a car park«
"After some time, check that everything is still tight. Screws, straps and other closures «
»Also think about the projection: You need a warning flag if what you trans- port transcends the car via 1,50 m«
»Maximum 4 m your entire vehicle may be high«
»Always mount the carrier in the middle. Also, what you put on the carrier, must be in the middle by and large, otherwise it can have a negative effect on the driving behavior «
If you pay a little bit of attention, such a roof rack is more than practical. Whether for the skis, for a transport box, for bicycles or larger suitcases. Always secure everything well and check for longer distances during your breaks, if everything is still tight. The rail carriers should be stable and light at the same time, so that the permissible total mass is not already on the roof rack. Now only the appropriate mounting option and merge the vehicle, note the permissible total mass and remember that you have something on the roof - to prevent accidents. Then it can start and everything finds its place. Truly practical!
Discover the top 10 of the best and best-selling railing rack products in 2024 on honest tests. We show a selection of the most popular items that have great customer reviews and value for money. Find the perfect railing carrier product for your needs now!
|Amazon Basics roof rack 132.1 cm, for 2 open roof rails...*
|72,99 € 69,99 €
|HP car accessories 12173 Brio railing carrier *
|Fischer rail carrier Topline L, for bicycle carriers, roof boxes...*
|74,99 € 66,90 €
|MENABO 000084900000 roof rack Tiger, silver*
|116,00 € 105,36 €
|Cecaylie aluminum railing rack roof rack for...*
|VDP XL135 aluminum railing carrier roof carrier up to 90kg VDP-R-005-135 *
|Roof rails + roof rack set compatible with VW Caddy III IV L1...*
|Low Profile Railing Rack Black*
|WOLTU bike rack roof rack roof rack 123.6cm length...*
|VDP L120 aluminum railing carrier roof carrier up to 90kg VDP-R-005-120 *
- Test: Kärcher high-pressure cleaner K3 | Premium Power Control
- TEST: Bosch cordless leaf blower 18 Li
- Test: BODY'S PERFECT capsules - weight loss & wellbeing
- Test: Tribit Stormbox | Outdoor bluetooth speaker
- Test: TonieBox by Tonies | Music & radio plays for children
- Tested: LED table lamp with battery from Aukey | Touch lamp
- Unbelievable what these chess games cost
- Mobile emergency toilets for on the go: An indispensable travel companion
- Thermo mug for hot drinks: Find your ideal companion
- Powerbank - Aukey PB-N36 20000mAh with USB / Lightning
- Flexi Wonder Bestseller 2024: The best and most popular in the top 10 comparison | Honest tests
- Buy home appliances
Lots of positives Buyer ratings are often a sign that people are happy with the roof rack product.
* Product images & links | Source: Amazon PA API | Last update on 23.02.2024/XNUMX/XNUMX | * = Affiliate links | Prices quoted on this website may have changed. The actual price of a product can be found on the seller's website. Real-time updates are technically not possible. Prices including VAT plus shipping costs