What are weighted blankets?
Weighted blankets, also known as therapy blankets, are special blankets that are intended to provide a feeling of security and reassurance through the additional weight. This weight is typically achieved through materials such as small glass beads or plastic pellets that are evenly distributed throughout the blanket. They were originally used in therapeutic practice, for example in sensory integration therapy for people with sensory processing disorders.
Would you like to buy a weighted blanket? Then get some information here Guide for weighted blankets!
Who are weighted blankets suitable for?
Weighted blankets are increasingly recommended as a therapeutic aid for a variety of conditions. They are particularly useful for those with insomnia as their extra weight provides a sense of security, helping to fall asleep more quickly and promoting deeper sleep. People suffering from anxiety and stress often find weighted blankets a source of calm, as the gentle pressure of the blanket relaxes the nervous system and promotes a feeling of calm. They can also be helpful for ADHD and autism as they take into account sensory processing disorders and help reduce overstimulation.
Additionally, more and more people looking for natural ways to improve their sleep quality and generally be more relaxed are discovering weighted blankets as an effective tool. The growing trend of using weighted blankets reflects the desire to care for one's own well-being in a natural and holistic way.
Benefits of Weighted Blankets
Weighted blankets offer a number of benefits that can support both psychological and physical well-being:
- Improve sleep quality: One of the main benefits of weighted blankets is improving sleep quality. The added weight of the blanket can create a feeling of safety and security, similar to a hug. This feeling can help you fall asleep faster and promote deeper, uninterrupted sleep. The weight applies light, consistent pressure to the body, known as deep pressure stimulation. This type of pressure is often found to be calming and relaxing and can bring the nervous system into a calmer state, which is particularly beneficial for people who have trouble sleeping.
- Reducing Stress and Anxiety: Weighted blankets are often used to reduce stress and anxiety. The gentle pressure of the blanket can have a calming effect that can help reduce feelings of anxiety. This principle is used in sensory integration therapy to help people with sensory processing disorders. The blankets can help calm the nervous system, which in turn can reduce stress and anxiety.
- Promoting well-being: The weight of the blanket can also stimulate the release of the hormones serotonin and melatonin, often referred to as the “feel-good” hormones. Serotonin contributes to mood improvement and relaxation, while melatonin regulates the body's sleep-wake rhythm. Improved production of these hormones can increase overall well-being and help relieve symptoms of depression and other mood disorders.
- Use for specific diseases: Users with certain medical conditions such as fibromyalgia, restless leg syndrome, lipedema, and lymphedema have often reported relief from their symptoms when using weighted blankets. For fibromyalgia, for example, blanket deep pressure stimulation can help relieve chronic pain and discomfort. Similarly, with restless leg syndrome, the gentle pressure of the blanket can have a calming effect on the legs and reduce involuntary movements during sleep.
These benefits make weighted blankets a valuable tool for many people looking for natural methods to improve their sleep and increase their well-being.
Choosing and purchasing a weighted blanket
When purchasing a weighted blanket, there are several important factors to consider to ensure the blanket meets your needs:
- Weight selection: A general guideline is that the weight of the blanket should be about 10% of your body weight. This rule of thumb is designed to provide sufficient pressure without being overwhelming. Choosing the right weight is crucial as a blanket that is too heavy may cause discomfort and a blanket that is too light may not provide the desired calming effect.
- Material and processing: High-quality weighted blankets are often filled with natural or hypoallergenic materials. Popular filling materials are glass beads or plastic pellets. The type of processing is also important to ensure even weight distribution. Blankets that are divided into individual chambers in which the filler material is enclosed prevent the material from slipping and ensure consistent pressure distribution across the entire blanket.
- Care and cleaning: Ease of care is an important aspect. Many weighted blankets are machine washable, making hygiene and care much easier. It is important to follow the washing instructions as some blankets may have specific care requirements due to their weight or material. Some blankets also come with removable covers that can be washed separately, making cleaning easier and increasing the longevity of the blanket.
Choosing the right weighted blanket depends on individual preferences and needs. It's worth reading reviews and perhaps trying out different models to find the ideal blanket.
Note: Extra care should be taken when using weighted blankets for children. Weighted blankets should not be used by children under 10 years of age as they cannot yet properly assess the weight and the associated risks.
Interesting facts | Weighted blanket guide
- Instructions for first use: New users should start using the weighted blanket gradually. It is recommended that you only use the blanket for short periods of time at first, such as while relaxing on the sofa, to get used to the feeling. Gradually increase the length of use until you feel comfortable using the blanket overnight.
- Understanding filling materials: Weighted blankets are often filled with glass beads or plastic pellets. Glass beads are typically denser and ensure even weight distribution, while plastic pellets are a lighter alternative. Some blankets also use natural materials such as sand or rice grains, although these are less common. The choice of filling material can affect the weight, texture and thermal conductivity of the blanket.
- Long-term care and storage: To extend the life of your weighted blanket, it is important to care for and store it properly. Most weighted blankets are machine washable, but it is advisable to follow the manufacturer's care instructions. Avoid washing too hot and spinning vigorously. To dry, it is best to lay the blanket flat or use a low heat dryer. For storage, the blanket should be kept in a dry environment to avoid mold growth.
- Adaptation to the seasons: In summer, you should choose a thinner, breathable cover to avoid overheating. For colder months, a warmer cover, perhaps made of fleece or other insulating material, can be used to provide additional warmth. Some manufacturers offer blankets with seasonal covers that are tailored to different temperatures.
Buying tip – weighted blanket
- Amazon Basics Weighted Blanket: Offers options with different weights and sizes, made of cotton and with Oeko-Tex Standard certification.
- Leefun weighted blanket: Various weight options, sizes and is particularly suitable for hand washing.
- Bedsure therapy blanket: Various weight and size options, made from 100% cotton, suitable for gentle cycle.
- Positive experiences: Many users report improved sleep quality and a feeling of security thanks to the weighted blankets. The blankets are often praised for their high quality and their ability to promote deeper, more restful sleep.
- Adaptation phase: Some users mention that it takes some adjustment time to get used to the weight of the blankets.
- Isolated criticism: A few customers commented that the blankets were not ideal for their personal needs or that they had difficulty adjusting to the weight.
Scientific studies and research results
There is a growing body of scientific research examining the therapeutic benefits of weighted blankets. These studies examine various aspects such as the effects on sleep quality, anxiety and sensory processing disorders. Some key findings are:
- Sleep improvement: Studies show that weighted blankets can improve sleep quality by promoting feelings of security and comfort.
- Stress and anxiety reduction: Weighted blankets can help reduce stress and anxiety, especially through the use of deep pressure stimulation.
- Application for specific disorders: Weighted blankets are often used in the treatment of ADHD, autism and sensory processing disorders and show positive results there.
- Physiological effects: Some studies suggest that using weighted blankets can lead to a reduction in stress hormones and an increase in feel-good hormones.
There are some important tips to keep in mind when using weighted blankets:
- Safety aspects for children: Weighted blankets should not be used by children under a certain age (often under 10 years old). Children could
Have difficulty handling the weight of the blanket, which poses a risk.
- Certifications: When purchasing a weighted blanket, look for relevant certifications such as Oeko-Tex Standard 100. This certification ensures that the product is free of harmful substances and was manufactured under environmentally friendly and socially responsible conditions.
For specific safety recommendations and certification details, it is advisable to contact the blanket manufacturer or seller directly.
FAQ – Guide to weighted blankets
Here are six frequently asked questions (FAQs) about weighted blankets:
- How do I choose the optimal weight for a weighted blanket?
- The weight should be about 10% of your body weight.
- What are the differences in weighted blanket materials?
- Materials vary from hypoallergenic fabrics to natural fibers such as cotton or bamboo.
- How do I care for and clean my weighted blanket?
- Many blankets are machine washable. Follow the manufacturer’s specific care instructions.
- Can I use a weighted blanket every night?
- Yes, you can use them regularly, but keep in mind your personal comfort and safety.
- Are weighted blankets safe for children?
- Weighted blankets should not be used on children under 10 years old. For older children, caution should be exercised and weight should be adjusted.
- How long does it take to get used to a weighted blanket?
- The adjustment period can vary. Start with shorter periods and gradually increase the usage time.
The Guide for Weighted Blankets provides comprehensive insight into the benefits, uses, and selection of these specialty blankets. From improving sleep quality and reducing stress to important safety information and certifications, it's clear that weighted blankets can be a rewarding addition for many people. However, it is important to pay careful attention to individual needs and safety considerations, especially when used by children. With the right selection and use, weighted blankets can have a positive impact on sleep and overall well-being.
Weighted blankets the bestseller 2024: The best and most popular in the top 10 comparison | Honest tests
- Better sleep & anti-stress - jaymag weighted blankets provide a great, all-natural sleep aid by providing a stimulation called “deep…
- Soft and Breathable - Our weighted blanket is made of 100% high quality cotton fabric with high density stitching, creating a soft and…
- Even weight distribution – Precise, computer-programmed sewing and tight stitching ensure that the glass beads fit every…
- Weight and Size – Weighted blankets are designed to weigh approximately 10% of the average person’s weight. As a rule, after…
- 【SLEEPING COMFORT】The gray weighted blanket provides even pressure on the body by simulating a ring hug, which effectively...
- 【VERSATILE】Good Nite weighted blanket can be used anywhere from sofa to bed, giving you the comfort of a gray heavyweight blanket…
- 【BREATHABLE AND DURABLE】Our heavy blanket is made of fiber fabric, wear-resistant and scratch-resistant, filled with double-layer…
- 【DENSE QUILTING】Good Nite relaxation blanket has a dense quilting design on the entire surface, with food-safe high-density…
- Cover: 100% polyester (microfiber) - silky soft, allergy-friendly material. High-quality and cuddly quilting
- Filling: 440 gr. polyester fiber + 4.990 gr. glass beads. The glass beads create the weight of the blanket. The polyester fiber provides the necessary…
- Care: The duvet is not washable or suitable for tumble drying. Please vent the blanket regularly to fresh air and keep it...
- Application: A duvet like a hug. Perfect for bedtime or on the sofa, watching TV, resting or reading. The most natural way…
- Brentfords Adult Weighted Blanket is designed to provide a relaxing sleep experience with deep pressure therapy…
- Size 125 x 180cm weighing 6kg - ideal for adults on a single bed or for use on a couch or sofa...
- Material cover - 100 percent polyester filling - 100 percent polyester filling - certified non-toxic micro glass beads. This makes this…
- The weighted blanket features evenly stitched pockets for even distribution across your body. This has been proven…
- ✅ Easy to use - with the weighted blanket in 2...
- ✅ High quality & 𝟏𝟎𝟎% 𝐁𝐀𝐔𝐌𝐖𝐎𝐋𝐋𝐄 - The breathable weighted blanket offers you...
- ✅ 𝐈𝐃𝐄𝐀𝐋𝐄 𝐆𝐄𝐖𝐈𝐂𝐇【
- ✅ Excellent quality - We attach great importance to the...
* Product images & links | Source: Amazon PA API | Last update on 26.02.2024/XNUMX/XNUMX | * = Affiliate links | Prices quoted on this website may have changed. The actual price of a product can be found on the seller's website. Real-time updates are technically not possible. Prices including VAT plus shipping costs