Why smart models are better. Every year hundreds of deaths from carbon monoxide occur in Germany and Austria. Most of the victims poison themselves in their sleep because their home lacks a suitable carbon monoxide alarm. These devices alert residents in good time if carbon monoxide escapes from heating systems or gas boilers. Smart carbon monoxide alarms detect faults in networked areas at an early stage and inform the responsible specialist.
Why carbon monoxide is so dangerous
What is colloquially referred to as carbon monoxide is a toxic gas mixture of carbon and oxygen that cannot be seen, smelled or tasted. Therefore, without aids, it will not be noticed if there is an increased concentration in the room air. If you inhale CO, it gets into the lungs and from there into the bloodstream. It binds to the iron atoms of hemoglobin and prevents the transport of oxygen. A concentration of just over 0,3 percent leads to dizziness and nausea in humans after ten minutes, but this is not noticed during sleep and death after half an hour. If the air you breathe contains 1,28 percent carbon monoxide, three breaths are enough to cause fatal poisoning.
Carbon monoxide alarms are lifesavers
The CO warning device has proven to be the only tool for recognizing a risk of carbon monoxide, the use of which has not yet been required by law in this country. Although the European application standard DIN EN 50291 regulates the threshold values at which the alarm must be given and DIN EN 50292 regulates how the device is to be installed and maintained, it has so far not been considered necessary to use it in every household. He could save lives in the process.
Carbon monoxide alarms are triggered when the CO concentration is not yet life-threatening. This would leave enough time to leave the room and take appropriate remedial action.
How CO detectors work
Carbon monoxide alarms are small devices that are placed indoors. Where a combustion unit is installed, it is screwed to the ceiling or wall outside the so-called dead air area, or it is set up. In all other areas, CO alarms should be placed at approximate breathing height.
All CO alarms work similarly. They are equipped with an electrochemical sensor that is calibrated in gas, preferably carbon monoxide. It usually consists of tin oxide, which has a high conductivity. If ambient air with an increased CO content penetrates through the gas diffusion opening, the tin oxide oxidizes, which changes the conductivity of the sensor.
All measured values are shown on the display of the CO detector in the unit ppm (parts per million), whereby one ppm corresponds to one millionth of a whole. At a concentration of 40 ppm, i.e. long before a harmful level is reached, the carbon monoxide warning device triggers an acoustic or acoustic and visual alarm.
Carbon monoxide alarms are still equipped with a seven to ten year battery and a test button. On most models, an acoustic signal reminds you to replace the batteries. If errors occur, they are shown on the display or on additional LEDs. Pressing the test button provides information about whether the device is working properly.
What to look for when choosing
In order for CO detectors to do their job, they have to make loud messages. Most models have a volume of around 85 dB. It shouldn't be less, so that the user also perceives the alarm when he is in an adjacent room. Furthermore, the area of application should correspond to the location specified by the manufacturer. It is also necessary to check which minimum and maximum values the device tolerates for air humidity and temperature.
The more frequently CO alarms measure the CO concentration, the more precisely they give the current values. The 10-year carbon monoxide alarm device Ei208D from Ei Electronics, for example, checks every four seconds and is therefore quite a bit ahead of many of its competitors. High-quality carbon monoxide detectors differentiate between different alarm levels and sometimes give recommendations on ventilation behavior. This increases safety for the consumer.
Not all CO alarms are suitable for every room. The room volume must match the device. Whether and how many CO detectors are purchased depends, among other things, on the type of energy supply. Apartments with oil, gas and wood heating, chimneys or gas boilers should be equipped with CO alarms. But caravans, mobile homes and boats that use propane gas for cooking and heating also need a warning device. A CO alarm in the garage is also worthwhile.
What smart CO alarms can do
While the consumer normally has to go straight to the CO alarm to read the display, smart models forward all values to a smartphone via an app. Either to the user himself or to the installer, provided he has access to the device. This makes sense because intelligent carbon monoxide alarms not only recognize faults, but can often also determine what triggered them. Among other things, improperly operated or defective thermal baths and ovens lead to an increase in CO in the room air. CO alarms can narrow down the causes. At best, the specialist goes to the place of use with the required spare part, where the homeowner lets him in. This can also be done in the networked home from outside via an app. Compared to normal repair work on the combustion units, the digital repair and maintenance chain saves time and money.
Find in the top 10 the best & best-selling co melder products 2022 on honest tests
- Early alerting - detects low carbon monoxide levels
- Battery replacement unnecessary - built-in 10 year battery (Panasonic)
- User friendly - display shows instructions (ventilation / room left)
- Flexible positioning - for standing or wall mounting
- 24 hours of protection for you and your family
- Battery level indicator, battery operated
- Test button for functional
- High sensitivity thanks to electrochemical sensor
- Flexible installation: wall-mounted or free-standing; easy to take with you when travelling
- High Accuracy & Reliability: Advanced Figaro Electrochemical CO Sensor; 10 year sealed lithium battery
- Instant Warning: An early warning is triggered by a loud 85 decibel alarm
- Informative Lcd: Displays real-time CO readings and remembers dangerous CO readings since the last preset
- AREA OF APPLICATION: for private households with combustion equipment such as open fireplaces, gas boilers, flow heaters, oil heaters -...
- ALARM: Even with a low CO concentration (from 30 ppm) the 85 decibel warning tone sounds and a red LED light flashes
- SAFETY: tested and certified according to standard EN 50291 - 1:2018
- LIFESPAN: The electrochemical sensor has a lifespan of 10 years - after that the device must be replaced | Battery with about 5 years...
- ?Reliable sensor technology, clear alarm: the carbon monoxide alarm device uses particularly sensitive electrochemical sensors. How to measure...
- ?Robust operation of the sensor: The CO gas detector consists of a durable and high-quality electro-chemical high-performance sensor that is sensitive ...
- ?LCD display showing the CO concentration: Carbon monoxide is a deadly respiratory poison that you do not perceive with your natural senses. Through...
- ?Battery operation: The CO detector uses replaceable batteries (2x1,5V AA). Even more conveniently, integrated power cells secure many years of...
- FAST & SENSITIVE: Equipped with an advanced electrochemical CO sensor and a powerful ST chipset, the ...
- 10 YEARS 24/7 PROTECTION: Powered by 3 × 1,5 V AA batteries and with a lifespan of 10 years, this detector offers the best protection ...
- FLEXIBLE & EASY INSTALLATION: No wiring or sockets required, since our battery-operated CO detectors come with screws and wall anchors ...
- LARGE LCD SCREEN & HIGH SENSITIVITY: Clearly shows the real-time CO values in PPM (parts per million) from the ambient air, with ...
- Informative LCD: Displays real-time CO levels and remembers dangerous CO levels since the last preset
- Flexible installation: This carbon monoxide detector can be placed freely on the desk or other flat surface
- Figaro CO Sensor: This CO detector features a Figaro sensor that detects dangerous levels of CO more accurately and responds faster
- 10-year battery: The 10-year battery provides continuous power to the alarm for its lifetime
- Warns you early against carbon monoxide poisoning, is caused by incomplete combustion (fireplace / gas boiler)
- Incl. Battery, dowels and screws = Easy wireless fast assembly
- Long life electro-chemical sensor (7 years). Operating temperature min / max: 0 ° C / 40 ° C
- Changing display between carbon monoxide value in ppm and temperature
- 2-IN-1 PROTECTION: Equipped with photoelectric and electrochemical CO sensors that work independently; notifies you...
- BUILT-IN BATTERY WITH 10 YEAR LIFE: Provides 10 years of continuous power with a built-in lithium battery; no constant...
- ACCURATE, RELIABLE AND HIGHLY SENSITIVE: The X-Sense combined smoke and CO alarm has been completely redesigned; it will ensure that...
- LED STATUS LIGHT: Informs you about the operating status of the detector with its 3-color flashing LED status light (green LED shows ...
- SUPERIOR DETECTOR PERFORMANCE: Proven performance for sensitive detection of hazardous carbon monoxide (CO) leaks; one...
- ACCURATE CO READINGS: Accurately reads CO build-up from 30 to 999 parts per million (PPM); a backlit digital LCD screen provides a...
- FULLY FUNCTIONAL: Malfunction warning, low battery warning, end of life indicator and sleep mode activated; on surface...
- EASY INSTALLATION: All mounting hardware is included for quick and easy installation in minutes, including 2...
- Test: 3T6B drone KF609 (Tenga Mini Drone) under 100 euros from Amazon
- Oasser P1S electric air pump with battery test
- Bluefin vibration plate: lose weight at home
- Test: Songmics X Bike - fitness bike | Exercise bike
- Catrice Advent Calendar DIY to make yourself
- Test: Bosch cordless hedge trimmer AHS 50-20 Li
* Product images & links | Source: Amazon PA API | Last update on 18.08.2022/XNUMX/XNUMX | * = Affiliate links | Prices quoted on this website may have changed. The actual price of a product can be found on the seller's website. Real-time updates are technically not possible. Prices including VAT plus shipping costs