With the Bosch cordless hedge trimmer AHS 50-20 Li, hedges can be cut quickly and easily. Special teeth on the front of the knife should easily cut branches up to 25mm in diameter. Cuts along walls and floors are possible thanks to the existing knife protection.
But how strong is the battery and how precisely can I really cut with the Bosch AHS 50-20 Li cordless hedge trimmer?
First impression / commissioning
Immediately after unpacking, it is noticeable that the scissors only consist of the motor unit with sword, the battery and the instructions. Bosch has basically mastered this well, because with other devices (leaf vacuum, leaf blower, etc.) nothing has to be assembled in a big way, you can get started quickly. Everything was put together in my case after about 5 minutes. Particularly noteworthy is the amazing one Leichtigkeit of Bosch hedge trimmer.
With 2,42 Kg it is very light in the hand and makes a great first impression.
I had previously used a model with a petrol engine, but I quickly had difficulties keeping it partially upside down. Since a gasoline engine requires fuel, the weight increases at the same time, which makes holding it very exhausting in the long run. For this reason I am pleased and at the same time excited about the use with battery operation.
Only the battery has to be plugged in for operation, but it is delivered uncharged. The device is then ready for use. I find the handle to be durable and not a hindrance in the long term. Through the generous grip it is possible to work straight and even overhead. The Bosch scissors can be switched on by pressing a button.
With a size of 101.2 x 23.8 x 19 cm, the Bosch cordless hedge trimmer AHS 50-20 Li also has a good, handy size and at first glance it is very suitable for smaller hedges.
I honestly did not need the enclosed instructions, as the structure and commissioning are self-explanatory. Only the battery, as already described, has to be fully charged once before it is used for the first time.
The first use | Quality of the hedge cut
Now I was excited about the first use and wanted to test the Bosch AHS 50-20 Li cordless hedge trimmer directly. Similar models from Stihl and Makita also have battery technology, but are priced higher.
The 18 Volt battery was after about 1 Hour already charged and ready for use by the lithium ions. This battery has a powerful 50 watts. In contrast to gasoline-powered hedge trimmers, you will immediately notice that they are switched on very quiet and calm is working. I was immediately impressed in the first test. In particular, I find the hedge trimmer to run very quietly and free of vibrations, which is noteworthy pleasant, with which the hedge can be cut thoroughly and evenly. This means that you can cut over the full battery life without causing pain or discomfort.
Now I was curious about the quality of the cut. The length of the scissors is 50cm. In my opinion it could Length a bit more generous become. For narrow hedges, these dimensions are completely sufficient, for wide hedges, however, it is necessary to cut from both sides, which results in more time and effort. This one Bosch hedge trimmer However, if it is intended for smaller hedges, the dimensions are okay.
According to the manufacturer, the powerful Bosch 18 volt lithium-ion battery with 2,5 Ah should be 75 Minutes create. In my test it was about 55 minutes. Nevertheless, I think that Bosch is doing quite well in the specification with this battery specification. One second battery I can still recommend it at this point so that I don't have to interrupt my work.
If a branch is not cut straight away, the direction of rotation of the knives changes. In this way that enables Anti-lock braking system uninterrupted cutting where other hedge trimmers give up. I liked that very much.
After the hedge has been cut, the saw blade can be safely stored with a plastic housing. The prongs of the scissors are really sharp, use should always be carried out with caution.
Overall, I am very satisfied with the first test of the Bosch AHS 50-20 Li cordless hedge trimmer.
Video | Bosch cordless hedge trimmer AHS 50-20 Li
What Advantages and disadvantages Bosch cordless hedge trimmer AHS 50-20 Li
- Very easy
- Battery operated (environmentally friendly)
- High performance
- Sharp knives for an optimal cut
- Low battery life - second battery advisable
- Additional work due to the limited length of the scissors (50cm)
- Sword cannot be removed, increased storage costs
Tips for the Bosch cordless hedge trimmer AHS 50-20 Li
These Bosch hedge trimmers can be purchased with batteries of different strengths and blade lengths. The smallest variant is the hedge trimmer with a 12 volt battery and a sword length of 35cm. My test is about the medium model and, last but not least, there is the large version with one 36 volt variant and a sword length of even 55cm. These Bosch models also differ in the charging time, which gets shorter and shorter.
Before buying, you should consider how big and long the hedge you want to cut is, for example. In this case, the battery life is very different and should be adjusted accordingly.
This tested model is sufficient for smaller hedges, for larger ones it should be AHS 55-20 LI model be thought about.
Bosch offers a wide range of accessories for optimal use. I always recommend one second battery to buy so that a full replacement battery is always available. These can be purchased for around € 45. Bosch itself also offers a quick charger at. Whether you really need it is an open question, as the charging process is already completed after 1 hour. If a second battery is available, the quick charger is not necessary in my opinion.
The storage of the hedge trimmer should basically Dry respectively. The manufacturer specifies that the battery in particular should be stored warm at very low temperatures so that the cold does not destroy the technology.
Sharpening the knife
If the knives appear dull over time and branches are torn off rather than cut, a so-called scissor arrow can be purchased from the manufacturer from € 19,99. Since there are a lot of individual knives in this model, I consider the effort to be very high if each individual knife should be sharpened by hand. In addition, Bosch promises a long service life for the knives and even offers a guarantee.
Conclusion: Bosch cordless hedge trimmer AHS 50-20 Li
The Bosch AHS 50-20 Li cordless hedge trimmer, with its very light weight and battery operation, is ideal for smaller hedges up to a cutting time of 50 minutes. The performance is good and absolutely sufficient for normal operation. Branches up to a diameter of 25mm can be cut through without any problems.
The battery could last a little longer in my opinion, but a second battery is fine for all of the work.
The current price I think € 134,90 is borderline and shouldn't be more expensive to use. With regard to the storage of the hedge trimmer, I generally recommend attaching the plastic housing for protection.
So if you are looking for a good, reliable and battery-operated hedge trimmer, you will not go wrong with this model.
Perhaps Bosch will be able to make the sword interchangeable so that the same device can be used to cut thicker hedges as required
Recommended reading: Stihl cordless hedge trimmer
Find in the Top🔟 the best & best-selling cordless hedge trimmer products 2023 on Honest Tests
- Lightweight and handy cordless hedge trimmer
- Stainless knife sharpened on both sides
- Low vibration running through rubber buffers in the motor housing
- Easy tree and hedge care thanks to the 2-in-1 hedge trimmer and chainsaw attachment and high-quality components with powerful Power X-Change...
- Versatile adjustment options with telescopic handle, 7-fold tilting motor head, 90° rotatable attachment for effortless horizontal cutting and...
- Oregon quality sword, claw stop, chain catch and automatic chain lubrication with tool-free chain replacement
- The cordless hedge trimmer AHS 50-20 LI - mobile, fast and precise hedge trimming with sawing function for branches up to 25 mm in diameter
- Special teeth on the front of the blade allow easy cutting of branches
- Wall cuts and floor cuts thanks to the integrated blade guard
- No-load stroke rate: 1350 min-1
- Cutting length: 52 cm
- Max. branch thickness: 15 mm
- No-load stroke rate: 1.350 min-1
- Battery voltage: 18 V
- Cutting length: 520 mm
- The advanced garden tools from Bosch – for demanding cutting
- Brushless motor delivers high performance and ensures long life
- Anti-jamming system eliminates potential jamming for continuous cutting with less downtime
- Light and well balanced hedge trimmer for trimming smaller hedges
- Cordless mobility for quick and clean cuts throughout the garden
- Bosch anti-blocking system ensures uninterrupted cutting
- The Einhell ARCURRA 18/55 cordless hedge trimmer is a powerful member of Einhell's Power X-Change family.
- The blades of the ACURRA 18/55 are made of laser-cut and diamond-ground steel and are designed for maximum precision and durability.
- The ergonomic, narrow handle of the ARCURRA 18/55 is equipped with a micro switch. The robust metal gear ensures a long...
- Less friction of the blades: This increases the running time due to the low resistance and is gentle on the material
- Handle with 5 positions: locks at 0 ° as well as 45 ° and 90 ° left and right for comfortable work in any position
- Well balanced due to the placement of the battery at the rear end of the handle
- Wildlife camera Apeman H60 in the test | Camera trap for animals
- TEST: Siemens vacuum cleaner Q5.0 - model VSQ5X1230 - powerful & quiet
- DEERC 300E & 302E RC Offroad Drift 4WD Car 1:18 +60 km/h buy & test | testimonial
- Test: BODY'S PERFECT capsules - weight loss & wellbeing
- Products from the Chain Bridge Honey Farm - family business for centuries
- Sonic electric toothbrush | Fairywill FW-507 tested
* Product images & links | Source: Amazon PA API | Last update on 11.12.2023/XNUMX/XNUMX | * = Affiliate links | Prices quoted on this website may have changed. The actual price of a product can be found on the seller's website. Real-time updates are technically not possible. Prices including VAT plus shipping costs